Thursday, October 27, 2011

Counting the Cost

Met with my family this morning about what we feel God is asking from us in this next season and we went over Luke 14:28-33 which reads:

  “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’
   31 “Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Won’t he first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33 In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples."

I wanted my children to hear me say, "I am willing to lose everything for the cause of Christ."  And to let them know I have counted the cost at age 36, and that they need to also.  Our world and our society is quickly becoming hostile to the Gospel of Christ and we need to be willing to think about what that might look like over the next decades and be willing to suffer jail time, ridicule or death in order that some may know the love of their Creator, the God of heaven and Earth and their Redeemer and Savior Jesus Christ.

So I would ask you, have you counted the cost of following Jesus?  If you have and you have surrendered everything to Him you know the joy and hope from which I am speaking.  If you have not I would challenge you with all the love that is in my heart because I care for you to sit down today and count everything but the knowledge of Jesus Christ as nothing.  He IS our treasure,  He IS our reward, He is our focus and He IS COMING for those who have made Him their refuge.

No comments: